TeamSideline offers a widget called UserWay (userway.org) to enable admins to setup their site to be ADA compliant (in Colorado this is referred to as WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) - https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/). UserWay also enables your customers to make adjustments to your TeamSideline website to enhance their viewing.
Note: There are three levels of compliance – A, AA, and AAA. TeamSideline will be focusing on the A and AA issues identified on our sites and making changes so our sites will not have these issues anymore. The TeamSideline target date for these updates is July 1, 2024.
The steps below are to help you add the Basic level of ADA compliance to your TeamSideline site. If you want to be 100% compliant (this would include AAA issues), you will need to consider upgrading your UserWay account to one of their "paid for" options.
How to Setup Your Userway Account
1. Go to userway.org.
2. Click on the Sign In link on the top righthand corner of the site.
3. If you are new to Userway, click the Get Started link next to "New to Userway?".
4. Fill in your information, click the checkbox to agree to the terms etc, and click the Sign Up button.
- The "Website URL" is your custom domain (ex. yourdomainname.com) or your TeamSideline site URL (ex. teamsideline.com/demo).
5. Find your UserWay Account ID (they didn't make this very easy).
- Click on Embed Code on the left-hand side of the home page.
- Highlight and copy the value in for "data-account".
6. Login as an admin to your TeamSideline site and go to Content > Configurations > General.
7. In the Accessibility section, paste the copied code into the UserWay Code field and click the Save button.
8. Go to your site's Home Page and you will see the UserWay icon in one of the corners of your home page (top right, bottom right, top left, or bottom left).
How to Get Started
1. Watch this video to get an overview of UserWay and how to use it on your site - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt-YbrOCwdQ.
2. Access to all UserWay videos - https://www.youtube.com/@UserWay.
Example Sites that Use Userway
ADA Compliance Issues Resolved Within TeamSideline
1. For News Items, the "Learn More" has a tooltip added.
2. Improved handling of increased text size when windows are resized.
3. Improved accessibility for scrollable tables within pages.
4. Informative text added for social media icons in header and footer.
Tips for UserWay Settings
1. To see alternate text for images, turn Tooltips on.
2. If you have External Links color issues, these are level AAA issues and will not be resolved within TeamSideline (text, links, and images are added by admins through the Content Builder). Go to https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/ and you can play around with colors and see what color will be ADA complaint on your site.
3. Here is a tool to check your site for accessibility issues - https://www.siteimprove.com/.