Note for WePay credit card gateway organizations: If you issue a full refund back to your customer, there are no additional fees for the refund. When you issue the full refund, WePay will return their transaction processing fees back to your customer and thus you end up not incurring a credit card transaction fee for the order. If you issue a partial refund, then WePay will keep the transaction fee and will not return its transaction processing fee.
In short, you need to...
- 1) cancel the customer's enrollment order, then
- 2) issue a refund to the credit card. You do both of these from the customer's Account pages.
There can be several nuances to these two steps so the rest of this article goes into more detail for each step to try to answer various questions you might have.
CREDIT CARD REFUND PROCESS
Step 1 of 2. Cancel the customer's enrollment.
- From the Admin Site Map, go to the Account Management > Search page.
- Note: To speed up the processing of refunds, you can go to Reports > Report Dashboards > Enrollments and quickly access accounts to cancel enrollments.
- Input the appropriate search criteria and click the Search button.
- Click on the correct customer's name from the returned list to go to the Account Overview page.
- Click on the spy glass icon to view the order you want to refund.
- If you need to remove any Add-Ons for the order. Click the red x next to the desired Add-On.
- Click on the pencil icon for the enrollment you want to refund.
- Click the Cancel Enrollment button.
- If necessary, adjust the Credit Amount to be refunded to your customer.
- Note: You would need to adjust the amount if you are going to charge a cancellation fee. Ex. If the enrollment is $100 and there is a $10 cancellation fee, then the Credit Amount should be $90.
- If necessary, select the correct choice from the Remove from Roster dropdown.
- Click the Email checkbox if you want to send the customer an email for this cancellation.
- Click the Confirm Cancellation button.
- The cancellation has now been completed and you will see the transaction on the Enrollments and Account Overview page.
Step 2 of 2. Issue a refund to the customer's credit card.
- Click the Add Transaction button on the Account Overview page.
- Select Refund - Credit Card (or Refund - PayPal) for the Transaction Type then choose the correct order to refund.
- Note: Refunds can only be processed 24 hours after the order has been placed and within 120 days of that order.
- Note: If the order is greater than 120 days old (ie. 4 months), you cannot refund the order. This is a protection put in place by credit card processorsto prevent fraud -- it is not a TeamSideline policy we can change. After the 120 day limit, you will need to refund by check. In this case, select Refund - Manual and write a check to your customer.
- Note: If the credit card refund is to be issued on the same day as when the order was placed, you will not see the order number and need to wait a day to issue the refund as the credit card payment will need to clear prior to being able to issue a refund to your customer.
- Add the Amount.
- Note: You would need to adjust the amount if you are going to charge a cancellation fee. Ex. If the enrollment is $100 and there is a $10 cancellation fee, then the Amount to be refunded should be $90.
- Add any Comments keeping in mind that these are visible to the customer.
- Click the Add button.
- The refund has now been issued to your customer and you will see the transaction on the Account Overview page.
- Note: Refunds take about 2-5 business days typically but it can take more or less time depending on the customer's bank.
Note: For Partial Refunds where the enrollment is not canceled, there will still be a balance on the Account Overview page. Once you have done the Refund-Credit Card transaction, you will also need to compete a Misc-Credit transaction (Add Transaction > Misc-Credit) in order to balance the account to zero.